At Ballard High School, our mission is to maximize every minute with our students to provide them high level, responsive, engaging instruction in a safe, student-centered environment where all are treated with dignity and kindness.
We are quickly winding the year, and there is a lot to fit into a short amount of time, but working together, we can do it!
Here is a bulleted list of dates and events:
- April 25-28: End-of Course exams
- April 27: PTSA Teacher Appreciation Luncheon, counseling suite, 5th period
- April 27: Girls Lacrosse Senior Night, 7:00 pm
- April 27: Boys Lacrosse Senior Night, 7:30 pm
- April 28: 9th grade college field trip
- April 29: Senior Prom, 9:00 pm – 12:00 am, The Olmstead
- May 1-12: AP exams
- May 4: Unified Basketball Senior Night, large gym, 3:15 pm
- May 5: Flexible PD Day – no school – except for AP exams… 🙂
- May 8: On-Demand Writing exam – 11th grade only
- The 10th grade On-Demand Writing exam scheduled for May 9 has been cancelled by the state.
- May 10: Softball Senior Night, 6:00 pm (subject to change)
- May 11: Senior Belle Ride, 6:00-9:00 pm
- May 16: Baseball Senior Night, 5:00 pm (time subject to change)
- May 17: Senior Awards Ceremony, FAC, 6:30 pm
- May 18: Senior Finals
- May 19: Senior failures due to counselors by 8:00 am
- May 19: Senior trip to KY Kingdom
- May 22: Senior Breakfast & Walk (time TBD)
- May 22-24: Underclassman final exams (schedule below)
- May 23: Graduation practice, large gym, 9:00 am
- May 24: Graduation practice, Freedom Hall, 10:00 am
- May 25: Graduation, Freedom Hall, 9:00 am
- May 25: Teachers’ last day – we are working on planning a luncheon after graduation
Also, I know many of you are anxious to know how you are impacted by any changes for next year, and we want to be able to tell you what we can before we get to the end of the year. After we get through this week, with EOCs and teacher summative evaluations, then we will start working on classrooms and spaces. We are moving forward with plans for a full Freshman Academy, and the classroom changes will be associated with establishing that academy, not any of the other future academies.
Also, we are still in the process of students entering requests for next year. That affects teaching assignments, so that information will not be available until closer to the end of the year.
***If you are a teacher who was requested to enter student course assignments for next year, please get those in ASAP. We have many still missing, and we cannot complete student scheduling without your information. The departments doing this are: English, math, science, social studies, broadcasting, graphic design, and fine arts.
Schedule for Final Exams
Monday, May 22
First period: 7:40-8:18
Second period 8:22-9:00
Third period 9:04-9:42
Fourth period 9:46-10:24
Fifth period 10:28-11:04
Sixth period 11:08-12:16
Seventh period 12:20-2:20 (exam)
Tuesday, May 23
First period: 7:40-7:50 (Attendance)
Fourth period: 7:54-9:50
Fifth period: 9:55-12:15
Sixth period: 12:20-2:20
Wednesday, May 24
First period: 7:40-9:50 (Extra time for attendance)
Second period: 9:55-12:15
Third period: 12:20-2:20
Power of Positivity
Summer Professional Development Opportunities
We will not be having a 2-day workshop this summer, as we did the past 2 summers. The reason is because there are several trainings offered in the district that teachers can – and will want to – take advantage of, so I encourage participation in those. Departments will still have the opportunity to hold a 1-day summer PD meeting.
√ This summer, the district is holding a large-scale professional development opportunity for all teachers. It is called the Deeper Learning Symposium and will be June 7, 8, 9 at the KY Exposition Center. I recommend this as a chance to network with colleagues in other schools and learn about ways to enhance student learning in specific contents.
√ The Classified Summer Institute will be held on June 12 – 13, 2017, at Thomas Jefferson Middle School. Informational brochures will be sent to schools in May. Registration will be open for employees on pdCentral the first week in May.
√ We will be sending a team of 5 to Project-Based Learning training put on by the Buck Institute. I’m told it will be in July, and they are supposed to get the dates to us this week. If you are interested in attending that, please let me know! Buck Institute are the gurus of PBL.
Happy Birthday in April to: Susan Davis (1st); Andrew Tullbane (4th); Jay Crocker (5th); Patty Bradford (9th); Erica Grossberg (10th); Loretta Roscoe (12th); Kellea Charleston (17th); Michelle McKelvy (19th); Flannery Musk (21st); April Person (26th); April Davis (29th); Carl White (29th); and Donna Evans (30th)!
Happy Birthday in May to: Erik Ransom (9th); Emily Lomax (15th); Vicky Gapen (18th); Emily David (21st); Barbara Staley (25th); and Elizabeth Clements (29th)!